Friday, December 3, 2021

Mindfulness and Music

I recently received a recording of a piece of music composed and created by Dylan Galloghly, a musician from Australia.  In 2008, Dylan attended a training I taught in Adelaide, Australia for people who wanted to learn how to teach Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy.  One of the hallmarks of modern mindfulness as taught by Jon Kabat-Zinn, with whom I worked for twenty years at the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School,   is the use of guided meditations.  In Zen practice we sit in silence, but in modern mindfulness practice we listen to a teacher guide and instruct us during the meditation period.  Dylan recorded me leading a basic breath meditation practice, and wove in various sounds to create the following piece of music, which Dylan gave me permission to share:  making music from mindfulness

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment